Tuesday, 17 May 2011

What if??


I can find myself thinking and wondering "What if?" Not so much about what if I do this or that. More about what would have happend if I hadn't done as I did, taken the decision I did or met the poeple I met.
I find it rather interesting to think about what decisions, options, and some luck that has taken me to where I am today.
It is impossible to try and find out what had happend if I didn't... but I find it interesting to see the critical situations that set out the path to where I stand rihht now.

I was born in a town where my parents stayed just for a few years. When I was three we moved to the little town where I grew up and my parents still lives. What if they hadn't moved? What if I had grown up in the town where I was born. Who would I be today? What would my interests be? I think I would be a different person. Probably with al lot of the values I have today, but still very different. I believe we are shaped by the invironment and the people we have around us. Even if my parents would have been the same, everyone else around would be different.

After I graduated from school and was going to varsity I only applied for one course - Occupationl Therapist, but at eight different varsities. I was accepted at one, and while I prepared to go, I was accepted to another one too. I decided to go for the second one.
What if I had taken the first one? What people would I have met that I now don't know. How strange to think that I shouldn't know the poeple I met by going for the second choice.

So, what has taken my to where I am today and what what if's has taken me here?
If it wasn't for that application for that job I sent in that I was sure I would never get, and if it wasn't for the girl saying no and me actually getting the offer I would have never moved to the small little village where I then stayed for eight years. If it wasn't for me starting my new job the week I did I would have never came across Wheelchair rugby, that has been a big part of my life for the last 15 years. And if it wasn't for me getting that involved in the WCR I wolud have never got the chance to go places, like South Africa. And if it hasn't been for my trip to South Africa 2005 I would have never met the most amazing people in the world!!

Another "what if" is when I asked my self "What if you quit work and go back to school and do what you are really interested in?" What if I hadn't spoken to a friend of mine that knew that a new education was about to start? What if I hadn't told anyone and a colleague had told me about the ad in the paper saying it was still possible to apply for the course even if it was five months since the deadline. What if I hadn't made that phone call when I did, and found out that the aplication commitee was to meet the next day. What if I hadn't got my aplication in and what if I never started graphic school...

I will never know what my life would look like with other "What if's"... but I'm quite happy with the ones I have, that has taken me here. Now I'm looking forward to sit here in a few years time to see what more "What if's" I carry with me...
I do have some "What if's" for the future... let's see if they will be the one I look back on in the future...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wahlen goes blogging....