Sunday, 05 June 2011

City Tour

For this morning I had booked a private driver to take me around town and show me what this emirate has to offer. It started out well, but after a while you could tell he wasn’t very interested in talking – to something else then his cell phone. But he took me to all the places I should see around here; The biggest Mosque in Dubai, The Worlds highest building, The worlds one and only 7 star hotel, The Palms – an island build as a palm tree with a 6-star hotel at the end.

What hit me was that the magnificent skyline with all the sky scrapes and amazing buildings are far from finished buildings. Lots of it is standing still since the big world financial crash a few years ago. I wonder if they will ever finish them. Big parts of town are construction sites, so they need to get it going to make it look good.

After the three-hour tour I was dropped off at The Mall of Emirates. The big mall the most people have heard about, due to the indoor ski slope they have there. I didn’t go skiing; I’ve had enough of snow for this year thank you very much. But I had a look at it through the windows. I must admit it’s amazing, but at the same time rather stupid… People seamed to like it though, there were lots of people running around in overalls and boots… I wonder how cold it is in there.

I sat down to have lunch while I was studying the map of the mall. It’s an enormous place, with not only the Ski Dubai, but an indoor amusement park as well, and loads and loads of shops of all sorts. My favourite shop was the department store. I enjoy walking down the aisles checking it out.

A little bit further down I saw a sign saying “Taxi”, without thinking about it I walked out that door and into a taxi and I was on my way back to the hotel. I’m not really a good shopper, am I??

Back at the hotel I spent a few hours on the roof, by the pool. That was really nice.

Tonight I will have dinner at the hotel, for the first time since I arrived I will have the dinner included in my half board that I have actually paid for already. After dinner I’ll have a quiet evening at my room and just relax. Just as I planned when I bought the trip!


New PHOTOS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wahlen goes blogging....